Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request : Nmap host and service mapping through a NAT router

From: R Anderson <listbox () pole-position org>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 09:43:24 +0100

Mark Smith wrote:

I would like to suggest an option in NMAP to detect when the payload IP
header and outer IP headers don't match in the returned ICMP message,
and then display the payload IP address in addition to the outer IP
address.

This has similarities with my wish to detect when ICMP unreachables is sent from intermediate routers and not the target. It has been discussed a couple of times. Some reasons it isn't implemented:

a) My programming skills is just enough to make a PoC and I haven't convinced anybody else to do it :)

b) We aren't sure how to put the info in the output. The human readable that is. XML output is no problem.

/R