Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap on sparc/linux

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:20:50 -0800

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:50:35AM -0800, Tom Duffy wrote:
I tried to run nmap on a gentoo sparc64/linux box (blade 2000 with 2
Cheetah+ procs) and got a bus error.  I am trying to debug what
happened, but am hitting a brick wall. I can only think the EXTRACT_LONG
macro is b0rken (compiler bug? -- using gcc 3.2.1) on sparc/linux.

Thanks for all the debug info.  I have a few questions:

o Do this bus error happen at every execution, or is it an
  intermittent problem?
o The stack trace you sent involved a crash in the Nmap ping routine.
  Does it crash when you use -P0?  If so, please send a stack trace
  like the one you sent last time.  That can help us determine whether
  the problem is in Libpcap or the Nmap ping code.
o If you compile the tcpdump & libpcap from tcpdump.org with the same compiler,
  does it work for you or crash?

Thanks,
Fyodor