Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: mapping a network address

From: Dennis Tighe <dennis () dennistighe com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:19:55 -0700

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:57:01AM -0700, jaye_gettes () hushmail com wrote:

hello all:

what does it mean when nmap returns a scan for a "network" address, like
192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0?  Is that device the first thing that answered
a broadcast?

192.168.0.1 in practice is a valid IP address. In fact, Windows ICS uses
this as the IP of the host machine on the internal network.

I did a bit of checking with the .0 IP on my home network, and was
unable to actually scan this IP, however, standard pings would always
get show my IP replying. When I tried to give myself that IP the host
(WinXP ICS, I'm at home .. yes I know it sucks) wouldn't respond to
anything. Maybe someone else has some better insight on the practicality
of this address?

Dennis Tighe
SIGNet Chair @ ACM.UIUC