Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: addition to -sV service detection switch

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:44:57 -0600

On Mar 26, 2004, at 9:44 PM, Cemil Degirmenci wrote:
Hello,

i just had some ideas to enhance the -sV switch.

I will make an example for dns here:

On Most DNS-Servers it is possible to get the Version by query the chaos txt version.bind record like this:

cemil@fusie:~$ host -c chaos -t txt version.bind ns1.wavecon.de
Version.bind text "Served by POWERDNS 2.9.15 $Id: packethandler.cc,v 1.22 2004/01/17 13:18:22 ahu Exp $"

Experiences show that this query is in 98% of all cases right (no, this is not a representative value - i just appraise it ;-) )

Same things could be done with HTTP ( query "HEAD / HTTP/1.0" and do some regexp)

After a look at the nmap-service-probes file i saw that it seems not to fit into the existing system... So - what do you think of that? Does it make sence? Or should there be an own switch like "-svV" :)

What would be the difference from the existing probes? I know on the http probes I discussed other requests methods and the reason GET was used first is that more servers respond to it than any other web server "verb".