Nmap Development mailing list archives

OS Detection

From: "Ganga Bhavani" <GBhavani () everdreamcorp com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:32:14 -0700

Hi,

 We are trying to use the Nmap for OS detection. Going through code, I
 found that NMap queries 1659 ports for usual scanning but uses only
 one open port and one closed port for OS detection. If  the user is using
 NMAP for only OS detection (only -O), can the scanning process be
 terninated as soon as one open port and one closed port is found ?

 This  is to optimize this particular option.I would like to know if there any downside to this approach?

Any other suggestions to optimize the OS detection ?

Thanks,
Ganga