Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: wishlist item: paralellized list scan

From: "Craig Humphrey" <Craig.Humphrey () chapmantripp com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:01:36 +1200

I wrote some perl scripts for doing bulk DNS grinding.  I think I've
still got them somewhere...  You could set how many threads to use.  If
I can find them, do you want a copy?  They're fairly basic.

[background]
I wanted to put a block on all ADSL users for an ISP since we were
getting an excessive amount of noise from them.
I knew the pattern an ISP used for their ADSL DNS entries, but because
they didn't have one contiguous IP address space, I had to grind their
DNS space, generating IP lists, which I converted to ranges that I could
block.

Normally you can get whois to return enough info for getting IP ranges,
but they'd sublet parts of their blocks to customers and their ADSL
ranges were scattered about... Fun.

Some places now "mark" their IP rages for particular uses (e.g.
ADSL/cable/dial-up "dynamic" users, as opposed to "static"
clients/services).

Later'ish
Craig