Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap ICMP/TCP Ping Insubordination

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 00:43:39 -0700

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:40:59AM +0300, Noam Rathaus wrote:
Hi,

I noticed a very inconsitent (with the man file) behavior of Nmap, I run two
command line:
1) ./nmap-3.50/nmap -PT80 -sP -d -n www.microsoft.com
(under the root user)
2) /nmap-3.50/nmap -PT80 -sP -d -n www.microsoft.com
(under the non-root user)

The difference is because -PT80 sends a TCP ACK probe when you are
root.  However, when non-root it has to fall back to connect(), which
effectively sends a SYN packet.  Meanwhile, Microsoft has a stateful
firewall in place which blocks the unexpected ACK packets (root user
case), while allowing the SYN (non-root user) because that just looks
like a normal connection attempt.  To get the same behavior in both
cases, use -PS80 instead of -PT80.

Cheers,
Fyodor