Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 3.59ALPHA6: Release candidate

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:14:32 -0700

Developers,

I have just released (to you) Nmap 3.59ALPHA6.  This includes a number
of neat changes, such as --exclude/--excludefile support for skipping
over certain sensitive or otherwise problematic hosts in a scan, and
this is also the first 3.59ALPHA release to build and work on Windows
with Visual Studio.  Those binaries are included.  Numerous other
important changes were made as well.

I haven't heard of many problems (slowness or crashes) with ALPHA5, so
this is a release candidate!  If all goes well, 3.70 will hit
nmap-hackers and the web site on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.  So
please give it a whirl and let me know if you find any problems.  I am
still interested in timing results (good or bad) between this and 3.55
as well.

Here are the changes since A5:

o Added --exclude option, which lets you specify a comma-separated
  list of targets (hosts, ranges, netblocks) that should be excluded
  from the scan.  This is useful to keep from scannig yourself, your
  ISP, particularly sensitive hosts, etc.  The new --excludefile reads
  the list (newline-delimited) from a given file.  All the work was
  done by Mark-David McLaughlin (mdmcl(a)cisco.com> and William McVey
  ( wam(a)cisco.com ), who sent me a well-designed and well-tested
  patch.

o Added support for --min_parallelism and --max_parallelism in the new
  ultra_scan() framework.  Thanks to Bill Petersen
  (bill.petersen(a)alcatel.com) for noting that they weren't affecting
  his scan times.

o Portability changes so that Nmap again compiles on Windows with
  Visual Studio. Performed some testing and built binaries for distribution.

o Fixed some Windows portability issues discovered by Gisle Vanem
  (giva(a)bgnett.no).

o Workaround crippled raw sockets on Microsoft Windows XP SP2 scans.
  I applied a patch by Andy Lutomirski (luto(a)stanford.edu) which
  causes Nmap to default to winpcap sends instead.  The winpcap send
  functionality was already there for versions of Windows such as NT and
  Win98 that never supported Raw Sockets in the first place.

o Changed how Nmap sends Arp requests on Windows to use the iphlpapi
  SendARP() function rather than creating it raw and reading the
  response from the Windows ARP cache.  This works around a
  (reasonable) feature of Windows Firewall which ignored such
  unsolicited responses.  The firewall is turned on by default as of
  Windows XP SP2.  This change was implemented by Dana Epp
  (dana(a)vulscan.com).

o Fixed some warnings that crop up when compiling nbase C files with a
  C++ compiler.  Thanks to Gisle Vanem (giva(a)bgnett.no) for sending
  the patch.

The URL is:

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/dist/?C=M&O=D

And here are the checksums:

6f377d5a097f8922ed5bd418b09d0f70  nmap-3.59ALPHA6-1.i386.rpm
56e6b7d7713abcc2113f51a0b223b13e  nmap-3.59ALPHA6-1.src.rpm
9f2c6c94cf58294ab9198d92f93653dd  nmap-3.59ALPHA6.tar.bz2
96f05714c775a6d80d21e5c9f5f347f3  nmap-3.59ALPHA6.tgz
180bbc21492539c4fb82e9beb458cb6e  nmap-3.59ALPHA6-win32.zip
471766afeae9c2b8209d2cc4cc98e057  nmap-frontend-3.59ALPHA6-1.i386.rpm

These release notes should be signed with my PGP key, which is
available at http://www.insecure.org/fyodor_gpgkey.txt .  The key
fingerprint is: 97 2F 93 AB 9C B0 09 80 D9 51 40 6B B9 BC E1 7E

Enjoy!  And please let me know if you find any problems.

Cheers,
Fyodor