Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP : Different interpretation of "filtered" ports depending on -sS or -sT options. Bug ?

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:52:56 +0100

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:04:51AM +0100, Sébastien CONTRERAS wrote:

When scanning machine B  (IP=192.168.254.10, no firewall on this
machine and no application listening on port 136) with NMAP (NMAP on
machine A), NMAP gives me two different output depending on the
options (-sS or -sT).

This is strange and worth an investigation.

Which nmap version do you use? Which OS?

Could you run the scans with --packet_trace -vvv -dd ?

Could you try "nc -vvv 192.168.254.10 136" too? (so wee see how plain
connect() behaves)

Could you make the dumps with "tcpdump -v 'host 192.168.254.10 or icmp'"?
(did you use tethereal with no filter or with 'host X.Y'? I've seen
cases where the destination was responding while there were ICMP DU
from the gateway received too)

If we look at packets corresponding to port 136, the packet sequence
is always (independently I use the -sS or -sT options) :
 A > B [SYN]
 B < A [RST, ACK]

So my question is :
Why NMAP say that port 136 is closed in case 1/, and filtered in
case 2/ whereas the packet generated are the same ? Is this a bug
? or do I forget something ?

Is it possible that you received ICMP error message (so connect()
returned EACCESS or EHOSTDOWN) and you didn't see it with ethereal
because of ethereal filter? (just a wild guess)

Martin Mačok
ICT Security Consultant