Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Bug in nmap 3.91 on windows

From: "Craig Humphrey" <Craig.Humphrey () chapmantripp com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:19:33 +1200

Note: if I don't use the host_timeout setting, it works fine!

I guess this means that the response isn't turning up in time.

I did some playing around with host_timeout, for my network (I'm
guessing everyone's will vary slightly), if I set it to >3240 it will
always complete with no errors, between 3200 and 3239 and it will
sometimes fail, but not always.  Any lower and it always fails,
returning the "Failed to determine dst MAC address for target" error.

I'm guessing that this is some kind of clash between the OS's ARP
timeout and Nmap's...  Something like, if the OS times out, it returns a
"no host found" which nmap handles cleanly, but if nmap times out, it
returns the "Failed to determine..." error.

Hope that helps Fyodor.