Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: windows (unfortunately)

From: Luke Triantafyllidis <triple () aeoth net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:02:48 +1000

OiRazor69 () aol com wrote:

Every time I run Nmap, no matter what...I get a response of "all ports
scanned: filtered" .... that's running nmap as -P0...I cant even run a -sS
scan...that keeps telling me host isn't up....there's no firewall, no
proxy...nothing I can think of...any help would be greatly appreciated...be nice  im only
13... thanks everyone

Depending on the situation, the problem may be one of the following:

1) You're running Windows XP SP0 or SP1 and have not installed the
latest WinPcap (http://www.winpcap.org)

2) You're running Windows XP SP2 in which case raw sockets have been
intentionally disabled by Microsoft, thus rendering nmap (and other
useful tools) useless :(

There was an update for SP1 (MS05-019) that also disabled raw TCP sockets.

I'm not entirely sure about the situation with 2000 and 2003, so if
you're running one of those, someone else may be able to enlighten you
to possible problems.

Best advice I can give (although a little suspicious of a 13 year old's
intention of using nmap): install a Linux or Unix operating system
somewhere and run nmap from that.

-Luke