Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap is a mess!

From: Gisle Vanem <giva () bgnett no>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:40:57 +0200

I managed with lots of trouble to get the latest nmap 3.84 alpha to build using MingW + gcc 3.4. My first grief is the naming of source files; .c files should be compiled as C-files (gcc) and .cc files as C++ files (gcc -x c++). Correct?

Doesn't seems to be the case in whatever Win32/MSVC project
file was used to build the binary. E.g. "fatal()" is called from both
.c and .cc files, but nmap_error.h is lacking the traditional
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif

needed for the C-files calling fatal(). Hence the linker is seeing
the mangled name of fatal(). Hope this could be solved before
any release. Try building with MingW and discover lots of other problems. Makefile attached.

--gv