Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Parallelize OS Fingerprinting?

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:29:39 -0500

On Aug 23, 2005, at 8:04 PM, Thomas Loch wrote:
Currently I'm parallelizing scans by using a bash script like the
one attached. It starts nmap in background, waits for all scans to
complete and sends the summarized results to a specified email
address.

I wrote some perl scripts to scan a large number of hosts.
It will run x (configurable) number of nmap processes in parallel
launching new ones and others complete, and uses the grepable output
for log files.  There are also programs to run reports and searches
on the output and do diffs on specific dates and/or hosts.

I talked about these at defcon this year, but I wrote them when I
worked for a large company.  Before I left we where scanning over
130K IPs in about 12 hours from a single host, and a single report
was being sent daily of new ports opened.

http://www.unspecific.com/.go/nmap/

--
MadHat (at) Unspecific.com, C²ISSP
E786 7B30 7534 DCC2 94D5  91DE E922 0B21 9DDC 3E98