Nmap Development mailing list archives

LAN/WAN Configuration Management

From: Fred Eisele <phreed () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:29:09 -0400

Sorry that the following is a bit scattered.

My goal is to devise a schema for doing network configuration management.
I would like to see a stronger xml presence in nmap, as I feel that would
make it easier to integrate nmap into such a mechanism
In particular, I would like to see/develop...
- some nice graphical output (in svg)
- a network description schema (of which the nmap output would be a subset)
- a network device part list (the os-fingerprint file)

Back in...
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2003/Apr-Jun/0105.html
...you introduced a device classification mechanism (by the way, thanks).

It doesn't look like anyone written an xslt for
creating a html and svg output yet?
What would you like to see?
I would like to see a WAN diagram on one page with a separate
page for each LAN.

In order to do svg a couple of other things are needed...
- an svg image (maybe in the fingerprint file)
- categorization in the fingerprint file (maybe the current
classification is sufficient)
- some (auto-)layout mechanism

Didn't I see some activity on a delta tool for nmap?
I don't see it in the mailing lists anywhere.

Have you considered making use of a "proper" xml dom
library (e.g. libxml2, xerces) rather than the roll-your-own technique?
This could make the -append-output problem...
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2005/Oct-Dec/0000.html
...quite a bit easier to handle.
The other approach would be to write a separate program that would
merge an nmap xml output into a master topology file.

It would be helpful if the master file described certain missing information.
For example, the routing tables.
Anyway, the question, I guess, is whether nmap could use that information
to do a better job of scanning?

If you are interested I would be willing to...
- create patches incorporating either a sax or dom parser to:
-- produce output
-- read a fingerprint file
-- read an input master file
- develop an svg (and maybe a visio) representation mechanism

I really like the master file approach as it would make it possible to
repeat a prior scan and see the changes to the network.
Clearly, the xml schema would have to change to support a
difference notation.

peace