Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: scanning with xp sp2 (getting admin privs)

From: MqX <mqx () low-axs net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:33:22 +0100

Joshua D. Abraham wrote:

I have been having problem with the scanning in xp sp2 and I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas about ways around them. First, I am
not able to scan localhost, which isn't supported. Is there a planned
fix for this? Secondly, if I want to scan with -sS obviously, I need to
be an Administrator, but I am wondering if there is a way I could use
something like "runas" to scan with the privs that are needed.

Thanks,
Josh Abraham

Hi Joshua,

don't know about scan localhost. i read something about it, but i'm not
sure if the following informations are right.
I (thought) i read something that MS disallowed this with an patch, but
there was another patch which allowed it again)
make sure you have the latest updates. Though. I dont know really, if
this is true!

For the admin thing:
The options -sS uses rawsocket. And, to create rawsocket under windows
you need administrator privileges.
Therefor you can run nmap like this:   runas administrator nmap [options]

Deston H.