Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Usage Stats by OS/Platform

From: magnus () linuxtag org (Nils Magnus)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:05:51 +0100

Re,

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 02:19:37AM -0800, Fyodor wrote:

Total 2005%   2003% OS
1278  63.996% 65.1% Linux
295   14.772% 19.5% Windows
196    9.815%  1.5% Mac OS X
[...]

Linux is completely dominant, with 64%.  It did lose a percentile
point since last time though.  Windows come next.

Keep the total numbers in mind, not only the share; I doubt that nmap
has lost significant numbers of users; however, some had effectively no
option to use nmap at all, such as the Mac OS X users.

Now let's look at download stats and see how the different packages
compare.  The last 9,143 downloads of Nmap 3.95 are distributed as so:

4901 53.6038% nmap-3.95-win32.zip
1839 20.1137% nmap-3.95.tar.bz2
1152 12.5998% nmap-3.95.tgz

Grouping those both together we have a little more closer race (53% vs.
32%).

[...]

This is a very different picture.  Windows downloads are the majority
here.  That isn't too surprising, as Nmap comes with most Linux
distributions and FreeBSD.

That's an important point. Many Free Software operating systems come
with nmap, but Windows does not. On the other hand, once you have _any_
reasonably new version installed, most users don't care about latest
versions. To give an example on my working terminal I use to type mails
results in:

$ nmap -V
nmap version 3.75 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ )

I conclude from that, that the user base of nmap is much higher and
possibly differently structured as the download figures suggest.

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2006 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2006: Where .com meets .org - magnus () linuxtag org