Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: Casey Williams <Lists () aviditysoftware com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:00:53 -0600

On 12:54 Wed 03/08/06 Mar    , Loris Degioanni wrote:
Let's try to clarify a bit.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is one of the most common Windows kernel
bugchecks, and  doesn't normally have anything to do with corrupted
memory. It just tells you "one of the component of the OS kernel, most
probably a driver, did something wrong, and therefore the OS will stop".

Excuse me, I should have spoken more clearly.  I didn't mean that I thought it was a memory
issue.  What I meant was that I thought something was going awry during the driver unload
process.  What would go wrong?  I'm not sure, I'm not knowledgable about such things, however
here's what I know: When I start my program, and close it without scanning it will never crash.
However if I DO scan something (thus initializing the winpcap driver), it will
crash...intermitantly.  And it only crashed on exit from the application.  This seems to be the
same issue that Kris is having with Nmap...

The most probable cause of the error, if this happens while you use
nmap, is the kernel driver that nmap uses to send and receive raw
network frames, i.e. WinPcap's NPF.sys. In most cases, in fact, you can
see if the fault is in winpcap by checking if around the bottom of the
blue screen you see somewhere "npf.sys".

I didn't see anything on the BSOD that indicated any specific driver, I don't know how I
would have missed it, but I'm sure it's possible. :)  And I agree, it's probably the winpcap
driver causing the issue.

If the fault is in winpcap, first of all you should make sure you are
using the latest version of the driver, which can be found at
http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm. If the problem persists with
the latest version, you can report the bug to the developers as
explained at http://www.winpcap.org/contact.htm, under "Need to report a
bug?".

Yep, I have the latest libraries, and I'd like to file a bug report, but I don't have any
solid proof of who's to blame, and since we're on the topic I'm posting my finding here in hopes
to be of some help.  Sorry if I'm being a nuisance. :)

--
-C