Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap and Sygate Personal Firewall

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:07:44 -0400

I posted about the same issues here:

http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2006/Apr-Jun/0068.html

I believe it is a Sygate or Winpcap issue, and not nmap specific.  The
reason I believe this is I had no problems with Sygate 5.1 or 5.5, and
when I upgraded to Sygate 5.6, everything got hosed. This included old
versions of nmap, I tested back to about version 3.5, and these
versions were all working fine prior to the firewall upgrade.

Also winpcap has been upgraded fairly recently (late 2005-ish) and
winpcap binaries ship with the new windows installer. It could be some
odd behavior going on with sygate/winpcap interaction.

Because SPF is no longer supported, and this seems to affect so few
users, I doubt anyone is going to try to get to the root of this, but
please give it a try if you'd like. However, if there is a deeper
winpcap issues that rears its head with other symptoms, it might be
worth poking at.

Otherwise, I recommend remembering to turn off the firewall prior to
using nmap, then turn it back on after.

Cheers,
  kx