Nmap Development mailing list archives

nexthost: failed to determine route to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:27:09 -0400

In two days, I've seen two *BSD routing table issues with point2point
connections. Weird.

In one, the destination was 192.168.0.1, but there is no match in the
routing table, and no default route, such as: 0.0.0.0/0 eth0
192.168.1.1.

In the other, the destination was 201.254.88.166, but there is no
match in the routing table, and no default route.

While there may be other issues, the only problem I can see is that
your routing table does not provide a way for nmap to determine the
next hop, and this is a host configuration issue, not an nmap issue.

At the least, please add a specific route for the target network, and
it is probably best to add a default gateway. I believe the route
command on OpenBSD and FreeBSD is mostly the same so try:

route add default (ip address of default gateway)

For my network, this would be:

route add default 192.168.1.1

For a specific route:

route add -net (ip network) (ip address of gateway)

Example:

route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.1.2

If this does not remedy the solution, please let myself and the list know.

Cheers,
  kx