Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SoC: port state reasons

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:21:03 -0700

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:14:01PM +0200, Martin Mačok wrote:
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 03:14:14PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

With Connect scan you can't even distinguish between RST and some ICMP
Port Unreachable, see

http://Xtrmntr.org/ORBman/tmp/nmap/nmap-3.95-CONNECT-closedfiltered.patch

Excellent point.  So I guess we probably shouldn't map ECONNREFUSED
connect() error to the reason "RST".  We should probably add a new
reason for this.  Maybe just "ECONNREFUSED".

It would be good to not limit it to just those two fields ... IP ID,
MSS, Timestamp or something else could be interesting too. What about
using p0f for RST packet fingerprinting?

Good points.  Though if someone wants to get too low-level, they may
be better off using --packet-trace and a scan against whichever port
they are interested in.  Or of course they could use a lower-level
tool like hping2.  To the extent that any of these fields aren't shown
in --packet-trace output, I would be happy to accept a patch which
adds them.

Cheers,
-F