Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: LUA Script Ideas

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:39:49 -0700

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 01:18:56PM +0200, Eddie Bell wrote:
It was stripped out from the message by mailing list manager

Here it is again

Thanks, this is a good script idea!  I think we should probably use a
more subtle anon password than "@nmap-scan".  It may be best to use
whatever browsers like FireFox or IE use.  I think that is wwwuser@,
but I'm not certain.

Also, did you test this against very many FTP servers?  The script contains:

        socket:connect(host.ip, port.number, port.protocol)
        socket:send("anonymous");
        socket:send("@nmap-scan");

I would expect that you would need at least a newline (probably "\r\n"
after the username and password, and that some FTP servers would
require you to wait for a username response before asking for the
password.  I think here you are just sending a username of
"anonymous@nmap-scan", and the server may be waiting for more data
(continuation of the username string).  The 220 you get back (or
don't) may just be the FTP server banner.

Or maybe I'm wrong.  But would you test this a little more against a
servers allowing anon ftp (such as ftp.kernel.org, ftp.microsoft.com,
ftp.sun.com) and some that don't (ftp.playboy.com)?

I agree that a solid anonymous FTP testing script is worth having.

Thanks,
Fyodor