Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Performance thoughts

From: "majek04" <nmap () forest one pl>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 01:41:40 +0200 (CEST)

Does your patch make a difference with -O2?
Hmm. Funny but It does.

Normal nmap:
6.95s user 0.26s system 99% cpu 7.243 total

Patched:
4.50s user 0.24s system 99% cpu 4.775 total

Something is wrong if you aren't getting -O2.  I just tried the nmap
4.20ALPHA3 tarball (and also my SVN version) and get this for the .cc
files:
Now the final linking command probably doesn't use -O2, but I don't
think it would do anything there.
Yeah, once again you are right.

I have predefined optimization flags for my
machine, so I'm used to select CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS by hand.
Before normal compilation I always do :
# export CFLAGS=""; export CXXFLAGS="";
After these commands, no -O flag is added.

Is it my mistake?  I always thought that selecting
empty CFLAGS wan't change antything.

Sorry for false alarm.

MM.