Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] Skype v2 service detection

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () chello at>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:06:37 +0200

On Sep 11, 2006, at 1:55 AM, Matthew Boyle wrote:

hi Diman,

cool. :-)  though there is the complication that if -sV isn't
specified, port.service for 80/tcp will default to "http", making
the test fail even if the port actually is running skype.  (this
isn't a problem with 443/tcp, as one gives "https", and the other
"ssl/http")

would i be right in thinking that you and Fyodor were discussing
forcing version detection on when NSE is selected (-sC == -sCV)?
if so, this would be another reason to go ahead with that idea!

In my current code base -sV implies --script=version. Scripts with
the version tag provide
output in the version detection style instead the script scan style.
The 'version' scripts
won't provide any script scan output even if their result is
positive. The problem you mention
won't appear. There are following scenarios: -sV, -sC, -sCV. In the
first scenario the script
will run and the service name will be nil, "" or 'unknown' so no
problem. In the second the
script won't run because the service name will default to http or ssl/
http but it is no problem
since we don't want a version scan anyway. In the third scenario the
behavior is the same as
in the first. So, no problem :)

cheers
Diman