Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.20 on Mac OS X

From: "Kurt Grutzmacher" <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:48:04 -0800

On 6 Nov 2006, at 21:37, Fyodor wrote:
Is anyone with a MAC able to investigate this further?  Diman had to
go because it is getting pretty late in Austria.  Nmap alpha4
(working) and alpha5 (broken) can be found at
http://insecure.org/nmap/dist/?C=M&O=D .

I actually started to see this when doing scans over a VPN (such as
OpenVPN). Nmap would never wait long enough for the ARP replies (or
they got dropped). Just trying it now on an iMac and very similar for
local network now.

Attempts to scan outside of the subnet are returned with:

nexthost: failed to determine to xx.xx.xx.xx

This is with both alpha4 AND alpha5.  Time is short right now but I'll
take a deeper look this evening.  I'm under the suspscion it's
somewhere in the ARP code when doing anything outside of a Connect()
scan.