Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap does not notice ACK packets

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 08:42:35 -0600

Richard van den Berg wrote:
I am scanning a fairly large network using -sS and I have some hosts
respond to nmap's SYN packet with only an ACK. I know this is a strange
way to behave for a host. Has anyone ever seens this before? It seems
intermittent because when I scan the host a second time, all is good.
Even when I craft the exact same packets using hping2, the host will
responds with SYN ACK (as it should).

The thing is, nmap 4.20 never reacts to these ACK packet. The port shows
up as filtered, and is not used to send TCP probes to either. I am not
sure what "state" nmap should give to such a port. Maybe open|filtered ?

Hi

Do you pick up a SYN from the hosts as well? The RFC says it should go
like this:

A -> B  (SYN sequence number X)
A <- B  (ACK sequence number X)
A <- B  (SYN sequence number Y)
A -> B  (ACK sequence number Y)

But, the middle two can get combined as a SYN/ACK packet, hence the
three-way handshake. If you get a SYN as well, then this will start to
make a little more sense, but should(?) still be wrong.

What OS's are these hosts running? Is it the same on all of them?

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn