Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request: --update

From: "J.J. Green" <j.j.green () sheffield ac uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:03:47 +0000

Hi Joshua

I do like the idea of software that is can update itself. I am
wondering how this would work if nmap was installed with package
management. Perhaps it wouldn't apply, but I want to get thoughts
about what would happen anyway.

How about: nmap is able to check multiple directories
for definitions etc and chooses the most recent as the
one to use. Then (say) debian ships nmap with

  /etc/nmap
  /var/lib/nmap

as 2 such directories with the most recent in /etc/nmap
in the deb package, but configured so that dynamic updates
are put into /var/lib/nmap

Then no-one steps on anyone's toes.

-j
--
J.J. Green, Dept. Applied Mathematics, Hicks Bld.,
University of Sheffield, UK.   +44 (0114) 222 3742