Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Port 0 problem

From: David Matousek <david () matousec com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:49:28 +0200

Hi,

Well the problem is not that it fails since the OS call fails.
The problem is that Nmap goes to an infinite loop and reports errors
that are not understandable. Simply said, end-user should never see
something like "Unknown error" or "Strange read error". And in this context
"No such file or directory" is also bad.
The correct behaviour would be if the appropriate message was shown
and only once and then Nmap should terminate.
Of course that fixing this to make it working or handle it somehow
would be better, but just write error message and quit would be good enough.

David