Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Top ports and -p switch extension patchset (fix for list and ping scans)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:26:10 -0600

This collection of patches I am proposing greatly increases the capabilities
of the -p switch,

I like the functionality of these patches. I found a small problem
having to do with list scan and ping scan:

        ~$ ~/soc/nmap-soc07/bin/nmap -sL localhost

        Starting Nmap 4.21ALPHA5 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-05-22 23:11 MDT
        No ports specified -- If you really don't want to scan any ports use ping scan...
        QUITTING!

        ~$ ~/soc/nmap-soc07/bin/nmap -sP localhost

        Starting Nmap 4.21ALPHA5 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-05-22 23:11 MDT
        No ports specified -- If you really don't want to scan any ports use ping scan...
        QUITTING!

The error message is printed in getpts, which before the patches wasn't
called for list or ping scans. Now that function is called by gettoppts
whenever an old-format services file is used. I committed a small change
to getpts that doesn't print the error message when the scan is not a TCP,
UDP, or protocol scan. It's in r4768 in /nmap-exp/soc07/nmap.

David