Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] Zone Transfer

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:51:20 +0100

Hi,

This week I've been working on a zone transfer script which is now
available in soc07 SVN.

The zone to transfer is determined by looking at the dns server's
hostname and a whitelist of TLDs. For example If the dns server was
named 'x.y.z.ns1.host.com.ar' we would try for the zone 'host.com.ar'

It prints all records and the extra data for SOA, A, NS, MX and PTR types

PORT   STATE SERVICE
53/tcp open  domain
|  zone-transfer:
|  localhost.   SOA      localhost. root.localhost.
|  localhost.   NS       localhost.
|  localhost.   A        127.0.0.1
|_ localhost.   SOA      localhost. root.localhost.

The script is quite long but most of the code is parsing so the level
of network activity is small (depending on the size of the zone).

thanks
 - eddie