Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: About NSE script license field

From: Benson Kalahar <bensonk () acm wwu edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:09:03 -0700

I forwarded Kris's message to a friend of mine who *is* a lawyer, and I
am waiting for a response from him.  When I get it, I will post it here.

Benson

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 11:13:08PM +0530, Gaveen Prabhasara wrote:
On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 10:59 -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Hey everyone!

NSE script license info has been discussed before (
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q3/0156.html), but I am just thinking
about the existing scripts and how to have consistency in the license field.

Good thing you pointed out the discussion, it brought many ideas
and situations into light. I also think it would be nice to have
a consitant license field among the scripts Nmap officially ships.

We have things like "See nmaps COPYING for license" and variations of it,
and then I have "Look at Nmap's COPYING".

I was thinking that, if everyone agrees and it's "legally sound", then we
can just say "Same as Nmap" instead.  It's simpler and sounds exactly the
same to me.

Your suggestion seems fine to me, but on the other hand I'm not a
lawyer. In the above mentioned discussion Fyodor stated he was
thinking to do the same licensing as in other code. If it's still
the case, I guess we are free to use something like "Same as Nmap
license. See Nmap's COPYING" or just "Same as Nmap license".

However it's Fyodors call to set licensing terms. It's better to
be on the safe side, especially these days, views and opinions
about Open Source licensing, GPLv2, GPLv3 and BSD license zooming
around.

Cheers,
Gav