Nmap Development mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: Christopher Barry <Christopher.Barry () Qlogic com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:00:16 -0400

Greetings,

First post here. I looked in the latest (Q3) area of the archives, but
could not see anything relevant, so I'm asking this here:

Nmap version 4.20 ( http://insecure.org )
Ubuntu Dapper testing/unstable

I'm getting an odd result scanning an external work IP from home that I
hope someone can answer.

When I use the following command line:
[/home/cbarry]:: sudo nmap -sS -T5 -O -P0 xx.xx.xx.xx

I know xx.xx.xx.xx is down, in fact the box is powered off.

I get two warnings that the OS detection may suck because it cannot find
at least one open and one closed port - but that's a normal message. But
then it proceeds to dump literally every single port name saying it's
wide open. Any ideas of what can cause this? I have never seen this
behavior from nmap before.

--
Regards,
-C