Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Error: vsnprintf returned -1 in log_vwrite

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:38:01 +0100

Fyodor wrote:
Thanks for the report.  Linux vsnprintf returns the amount of space
needed when the buffer passed in is too short.  Nmap already has code
to lengthen the buffer in that case.  But Windows apparently just
returns -1.  I have just checked in a change to
nmap-exp/soc07/nmap/output.cc which grows the buffer in that case.
This should resolve it.  But if you still see the problem in the
latest SVN version or after the next release, please let us know.

Cheers,
-F
Very nice.  I tried the new version with the three previous example
scans that failed and was glad to see that they did not fail this time!
I pushed the boat out a bit and scanned 1240 open and closed ports and,
again, no failure and all the outputs look fine.
I'll keep my eye on it...

Cheers

jah