Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Maybe bug, with -sP und ASA sending RST for denied networks

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:59:36 -0400

Hm. If "ASA" refers to the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance, there is a
possible explanation - whoever configured the device enabled the
"service resetinbound" option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/s1.
html#wp1348346

The ICMP probe might then be dropped, and the probe to 80/tcp replied
with an RST. Hard then to determine what is going on just by looking at
a packet capture and with no additional info. My money would be on
"resetinbound" plus ACL dropping ICMP echo request. But it could also be
that the ruleset drops indeed ICMP echo request, but has an entry that
says "permit tcp any host X" - and host X isn't actually listening on
80/tcp.

Dario