Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.22SOC8 released

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:40:14 -0700

Hi everyone!  I'm please to release Nmap 4.22SOC8 with all of our
changes in the last 2 weeks.  The de-bloating project continues,
thanks in a large part to David.  Check out the size trend:

-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7109087 Aug 17 15:59 nmap-4.22SOC4.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7102810 Aug 18 15:10 nmap-4.22SOC5.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4896587 Aug 29 02:13 nmap-4.22SOC6.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4324612 Oct 11 02:26 nmap-4.22SOC7.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 3637650 Oct 28 20:18 nmap-4.22SOC8.tar.bz2

And it will get even smaller when gen1 OS detection and NmapFE go
away.  I'll send an email about those shortly.

But my biggest concern--even more important than debloating--is to get
a stable release out there!  The last stable release, 4.20, was
released in December of last year!  These new versions are so much
better that we really need to replace 4.20.  So please test out this
latest version and report any problems you encounter.  Of course
reports with patches are the best, but we also welcome bug reports if
Nmap crashes, fails to compile, or you encounter any other problems.
Please send the reports to nmap-dev.

This release includes many great changes.  It introduces Zenmap (the
new name for the integrated Umit), removes the whole massping()
system, includes your latest service detection submissions for more
than 4500 signatures, includes Kris's new protocol ping (-PO), and
much more.

Here are the goods in the usual formats:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC8-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC8-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC8.tgz

And here are the changes since 4.22SOC7:

o Removed the old massping() system, since the functionality has now
  been migrated into the existing ultra_scan() system (which is used
  for port scanning too).  Thanks to David for doing the migration,
  which involved a lot of work and testing.  The new system is
  frequently faster and more accurate than massping(), and some of the
  new algorithms benefit port scans too.

o Renamed Umit to Zenmap to reduce confusion between the version we
  ship with Nmap as the integrated GUI and the version maintained
  separately at umit.sourceforge.net.  We are excited about Zenmap and
  expect to remove NmapFE in the near future

o Integrated all of your Q3 service detection submissions!  We have
  now surpassed 4500 signatures and are approaching 500 service
  protocols.  Wow!  Thanks to Doug for doing the integration.  His
  notes on the crazy and interesting services discovered this quarter
  are at http://hcsw.org/blog.pl/31 .

o Added a new ping type: IPProto Ping.  Use -PO (that is the letter O
  as in prOtOcOl, not a zero).  This is similar to protocol scan (-sO)
  in that it sends IP headers with different protocols in the hope of
  eliciting a response from targets.  The default is to send with
  protocols 1 (ICMP), 2 (IGMP), and 4 (IP-in-IP tunnel), but you can
  specify different protocol numbers on the command line the same way
  you specify TCP/UDP ports to -PS or -PU. To reduce confusion, we now
  recommend that -PN be used when you don't want pings done rather
  than using the old -P0 (zero). [Kris]

o The SMTPcommands.nse script was updated to support the HELP query in
  addition to EHLO [Jason DePriest]

o Added --ttl support for connect() scans (-sT). [Kris]

o Combine the Zenmap setup scripts into one portable setup.py rather
  than having separate versions for Windows, Unix, and Mac OS X.

o Removed a bunch of unnecessary/incomplete code and data files from
  Zenmap. [ David]

o In Nbase, switched from GNU's getopt() replacement functions to
  Ben Sittler's BSD-licensed (but GNU compatible) functions. [Kris]

o Include nmap.h in portreasons.h.  This fixes a compilation problem
  reported on OpenBSD. [David]

o Change PCRE from an NSELib module back to statically linked code due
  to OpenBSD compilation problems.  See
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0085.html [David]

o Fix a problem with --reason printing the wrong host discovery
  reasons when ICMP destination unreachable packets arrived. [Kris]

o Nmap has better dependency tracking now such that it no longer
  builds the executable every time you type 'make'.  This was causing
  problems where 'make; sudo make install' would create a root-owned
  nmap executable because it was rebuilt as part of 'make
  install'. [David]

Enjoy,
Fyodor