Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap dies on MacOS X 10.5.1

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:17:52 -0700

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:45:03AM -0600, MadHat Unspecific wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:01:08PM -0600, Lee Heath wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
If you find out that the installation directory is not in sys.path, can
you try setting the environment variable PYTHONPATH to the installation
directory? sys.path will include PYTHONPATH automatically. Something
like

    PYTHONPATH="/usr/local/python2.5/site-packages" zenmap

Also, can you run Zenmap from its source tree (./zenmap)?

using the svn...  svn up, make clean, make, etc...

$ PYTHONPATH="/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages" zenmap
$

from the source dir.
$ ./zenmap
$

I'll try and work with it more this afternoon.

Zenmap requires the GTK+ libraries and PyGTK. I'm afraid this isn't very
well documented at the moment. Also we don't have a documented build
process for Mac OS X.

I just did a test be renaming my gtk-2.0 Python package directory and
saw the same thing you did: zenmap quits right away with no output. The
problem is that when there's an exception (like when the "gtk" package
can't be imported, Zenmap tries to show a window offering to report the
crash. Of course it doesn't work to use PyGTK to show an error message
when the error was caused because PyGTK isn't there.

In this case the exception message would normally be printed to the
console except that Zenmap redirects stdout and stderr while it's
running. I just committed a change that un-redirects them in the
exception handler so you get a message on the console. But this is
probably a common enough problem that we should special-case it and
print a custom error message.

For what it's worth, you can disable the stdout and stderr redirection
by setting the environment variable ZENMAP_DEBUGGING to 1 (Umit also has
UMIT_DEBUGGING). You can also use the -v option to get more output:

        ZENMAP_DEBUGGING=1 ./zenmap -v -v -v

David