Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zenmap from tarball on Mac OS X?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:34:33 -0800

Hi everyone.  One of the many big improvements in Nmap 4.50 is the
Zenmap GUI.  Among its advanages over NmapFE is portability.  I've
been testing Zenmap on Linux and Windows, but I don't have an OS X box
yet.  It is supposed to work though.  In fact, Adriano did much of his
Umit development on a Mac.

At some point I would like to make a .app package for Nmap/Zenmap on
Mac which is as comprehensive and easy to use as the Nmap Win32
installer.  But that won't be done in time for the 4.50 release.  So
for now people need to work from the tarball or svn.  You presumably
need to install various dependencies which don't come with OS X.  I
don't know if it includes Python, PyGTK, etc.

Can someone here who has Zenmap working on their Mac send to this list
step-by-step instructions for installing and running Nmap and Zenmap,
starting with a tarball such as nmap-4.49RC4.tar.bz2?  I would like to
link to and/or summarize the instructions on the Nmap download page
and install guide.  Many Mac users will thank you.

Also, if someone wants to figure out how to create an Nmap/Zenmap
.app, that would be great.  Maybe it could be offered for Nmap 4.51!
We have a Python packaging system which is supposed to make the
creation of this sort of thing easy.

Thanks,
-F