Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Vista Pro reported as Vista Home

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:30:53 -0700

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 02:54:38PM +0100, fabrice boissat wrote:
I upgraded a < Windows XP Pro > to a < Vista Pro >
From my usual XP Pro computer, i run a remote scan with NMAP 4.50 to
check this brand new Vista
Nmap report this brand new Vista as a "Home" version but it should
report a "Pro" version.

Thanks for your report. Do you mind submitting a correction to the OS
database? Run your scan again and use the -d option so that Nmap prints
out the OS fingerprint (a bunch of lines starting with "OS:"). Go to
http://insecure.org/cgi-bin/submit.cgi and paste the fingerprint in as
an OS correction, and say that it should be Vista Pro. Then we'll get it
fixed in the next release (the signature will probably be changed to say
just "Vista").

David Fifield