Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NPPTools.dll missing error in Vista

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:42:29 +0000

On 22/12/2007 16:44, Gianluca Varenni wrote:
I haven't checked the nsis documentation, but compatibility mode in general has nothing to do with the
requestExecutionLevel attribute that you set in the manifest of an executable. That attribute has to do with UAC, and
basically forces windows to pop-up the dialog asking you to allow elevated privileges for the execution of a binary
when UAC is enabled.

The nsis documentation [1] says "It's recommended, at least by
Microsoft, that every application will be marked with the required
execution level. Unmarked installers are subject to compatibility mode."
I should have read it better myself; because it also says, about setting
RequestExecutionLevel to "none" which is also the default, "will keep
the manifest empty and let Windows decide which execution level is
required. Windows Vista automatically identifies NSIS installers and
decides administrator privileges are required".

Have a nice day
GV

PS. I wish i could replicate the winpcap installer problem, and try this nsis setting :-(

Given that Fyodor has apparently fixed the problem, I don't think it
matters now.  Even so, maybe it is worth seeing if there's any
difference to the install process on vista if RequestExecutionLevel is
set.  I ought to get vista to play with...

regards,

jah

[1]  RequestExecutionLevel -
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.8.1.32