Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: STOMP Probe

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:00:29 -0800

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:55:40AM +0100 or thereabouts, Lionel Cons wrote:
 > Maybe a good guideline should be that probes don't run
 > in the default scan unless we expect them to match more
 > than one application?

I would disagree with this. IMHO, it should be linked to the probability
of finding the service during a scan. Popular services should be scanned
by default, regardless of the fact that they may need a dedicated probe.

That's an excellent point. Do you feel this probe is common
enough for inclusion in the default scan? I had just never
heard of the service before so assumed it must be fairly
rare.

Determining which services are the most common is a problem we
have been thinking about for a while. If you (or anyone) has any
ideas on measuring or estimating this, I think it would be a
great discussion topic.

Best wishes and thanks again for the probe,

Doug