Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Misc. Barracuda service stuff

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:44:09 -0600

Hey Brandon (and everyone),

Brandon Enright wrote:
| We have a bunch of Barracuda "Spam Firewall" products on campus
| (http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/products/spam_overview.php).
<snip>

| Also, the SMTP services aren't currently recognized and their banner is
| always some variation of:
|
| ^220\x20some.host.name\x20ESMTP\x20\(32_hex_digits\)
|
| Here is one of the hex strings: 504a23141b4a41b5b4e49d39ff99a051
|
| I suspect the hex string relates to the firmware version but I haven't
| been able to verify that.

My first thought when I saw the 32 hex digits was some kind of hash;
however, I couldn't think of any good reason on why a banner would need
one.  Plus, if you think it involves the firmware version then it must
stay the same... and what's the point of a never-changing hash in a
welcome banner?

I started looking around (because I became very curious) and I think I
may have found something out about it.  Page 43 of this User's Guide [1]
mentions a setting for "SMTP Welcome Banner", which of course controls
the banner.  It also says it must be unique across the network.  If this
option is left blank, then Barracuda will manage it.. and that makes me
think it generates a big, random number and sticks it in the banner so
that it's unique.

Whether or not this is the case, I don't know; I could be looking at a
guide for a completely different product.  One thing that makes me feel
this way is the fact that the User's Guide at barracudanetworks.com [2]
(with a newer year) doesn't have this "SMTP Welcome Banner" option in
it.  These two user's guides are very different, so I don't know what to
think about them.

Since I have no definite answers, hopefully this will at least lead you
in the right direction.

| Brandon

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn