Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: osmatch vs osclass

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:15:28 -0700

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:27:39PM -0400, Rick wrote:
Hi,
Sorry if I'm bringing up the the obviously covered, if so please kindly point me
to where I can get more details.  I'm trying to parse the xml output and make a
determination based on the accuracy to finally pick just one type of os (
windows, linux..) to represent what was found.  I understand that this isn't
guaranteed.
What's confusing me is osmatch versus the osclass and which to use to base that
decision.

If you are just trying to get the type of OS (e.g. Windows, Linux),
you should use the osclass.  If you want a free-form description which
potentially includes extra little details and more specificity, use
the osmatch.  You can read about the two here:

http://nmap.org/osdetect/osdetect-fingerprint-format.html#osdetect-ref-format

(The "Fingerprint" section describes osmatch, the "Class" section describes osclass)

Cheers,
-F