Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap/Zenmap 4.60-test2 packages for Mac OS X

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:46:54 -0600

Hello,

I have made another test packaging of Nmap and Zenmap for Mac OS X to
fix some problems reported by some testers. Thanks for testing!

http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-4.60-test2.dmg (19 MB)

While the test1 package was just Zenmap, this package includes both Nmap
and Zenmap. You choose which parts to install just like on the Windows
installer. I'm only providing a universal package this time.

I received reports of crashes from users on Mac OS X 10.4 and on
PowerPC. I don't have access to either of those platforms, but I have
done my best to make it run on them by building the support libraries in
a different way.

If you experienced a crash before, please try again and report what
happens. In your report, make sure to say what version of Mac OS X
you're running and on what architecture. If Zenmap doesn't work, please
also try running /usr/local/bin/nmap to see if it works on its own. Of
course, I also want to hear successful reports.

This version addresses two of the issues from test1. Zenmap now
special-cases /usr/local/bin on OS X, so it will look there if it can't
find nmap anywhere else. You are able to run the Zenmap application from
a directory with spaces or backslashes or other weird characters in the
name.

The application still doesn't run as root. That wil be addressed in a
forthcoming release. I first want to make sure that it runs without
crashing on various current versions of OS X.

David Fifield