Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap labeled ethernet address problem

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 15:26:56 -0700

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:08:32PM -0700, Benson wrote:
I looked into it a few days ago and came to a fairly similar conclusion,
but wasn't confident enough in it to say anything to the mailing list.
But, everything I found agreed with what Kris said.  I also noticed that
if you set an interface alias to something that doesn't start with
"ifname:" the ifconfig tool completely pukes.

Thanks, Kris and Benson.  If even ifconfig can't handle it, Nmap
shouldn't be expected to IMHO.  I sent a link to this thread to the
Debian folks, since this issue was originally opened on their bug
tracker.

Cheers,
-F