Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Support on Windows

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 00:51:53 +0100

On 11/05/2008 19:57, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Hmm.. I hadn't tried this until today.  I got Nmap working across the
internet easily with hosts like www.kame.net, www.ipv6.org and
ipv6.google.com using Teredo ("netsh interface ipv6 set teredo
client").  Does this work for you?
YES!!!
But it wasn't as easy as it seems to have been for you.  I was able to
get dns AAAA records with nslookup, and was getting Router Advertisement
from fe80::8000:f227:2a38 (213.199.162.202 - A microsoft relay?), but
try as I might, I couldn't nmap, ping or browse with IE7.  I went for
ipv6.google.com as my target, because there's no ipv4 address to fall
back on.

I decided to open up some high UDP ports on my router to see what would
happen and watched wireshark whilst I tried pinging and nmap scanning.
XP was returning ICMP port unreachables so I closed the UDP ports again.
Almost immediately after that I managed to browse to
http://ipv6.google.com and I saw a flood of UDP coming my way (wireshark
decoded it as straight UDP) from 83.170.1.38 (vpn1.teleport-iabg.de).
Even after that, nmap couldn't ping and neither would ping, but port
scanning was working!  Shortly after that, ping started working.  I've
found that if I do this:
nmap -6 ipv6.google.com -p80

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-05-12 00:11 GMT Standard Time
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.125 seconds

and then do it again:
nmap -6 ipv6.google.com -p80

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-05-12 00:11 GMT Standard Time
Interesting ports on 2001:4860:0:1001::68:
PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.469 seconds

I guess this is a side-effect of tunnelling or maybe I had to wait for a
route to appear.

Great news nonetheless!  I'm looking forward to -iR support for -6 :)

cheers,

jah