Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: another nod for nmap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:23:08 -0700

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 04:31:18PM +0100, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
Computerworld
Reader favorites: 10 great free network tools
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9085918

Nmap (and Zenmap) are on the list, of course.

Thanks for the link, I'm always glad to see good press for Nmap.
Though its terrible that they not only break up the article into six
small pages, but they also put an interstitial ad between each
page(!).  Here is a link to the printer-friendly version which avoids
that nonsense:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9085918

Also a few other things in the article made me cringe.  They start out
the article with a security warning which suggests that programs are
more likely to be safer if downloaded from SourceForge rather than
other sites (like nmap.org).  Yeah right!  And then there is this:

"Note that I only include Windows tools. Some readers suggested Linux
 tools, but not everyone can afford the time to learn Linux just to
 evaluate a useful tool."

What makes him think we have time to pay for, install, and learn
Windows just to evaluate a useful tool?

Fortunately, he seemed to like Zenmap/Nmap and included a good
screenshot.

Strangely, Nessus is on the list but Snort isn't.

Haha, apparently he didn't read the news of Nessus removing the free
version before adding it to a top "free network tools" story.

Cheers,
-F