Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problems converting Dnet names to WinPcap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:39:53 -0700

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:07:42PM -0400, Mike pattrick wrote:
Hey everyone,

David and I have been discussing how dubious the for loop near line
350 of output.cc is. To recap, it is the loop that prints out the
following information:
DEV  WINDEVICE
eth0 \Device\NPF_{43939745-59EC-4539-AA18-FA1950DEABD7}
eth1 \Device\NPF_{2E9F517C-BB63-4CDC-88DC-9EE3BC9F8270}

The problem is, it gets information from Dnet for the 'dev' names and
WinPcap for the 'windevice' names and just assumes that they will be
in the proper order(actually reverse order for some odd reason). There
is really no guarantee that these two names will correctly line up and
I have discovered that they sometimes get mixed up when bridging
network devices[1]. David suggested using the DnetName2PcapName
function, however this function relies on IP addresses, so cant return
proper results for interfaces with no IP set; it also doesn't return
anything for local host and handles bridged connections poorly[2].

Can anyone else think of a way to properly relate a Dnet name to a WinPcap name?

Hi Mike.  Good points.  I'm not sure of the best way to handle this,
but I agree that it is a very important issue.  While Rob's installer
fix seems to resolve the "dnet: Failed to open device" error for many
people, I believe that it still may come up for others due to the
problem you bring up.  So we should really try to find a good fix for
it.

Cheers,
-F