Nmap Development mailing list archives

Confused about some port scan results.

From: "Jason Cipriani" <jason.cipriani () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:06:42 -0400

Hi guys, I have a couple of quick questions.

I'm not really a networking expert; I have a piece of hardware on my
LAN and I'm trying to do a UDP port scan on ports 6000 to 6500, and
I've just downloaded nmap (4.65, Windows XP SP2, no software
firewalls) to do that. The results I get are:

$ nmap -sU -r -p6000-6500 192.168.2.200
Starting Nmap 4.65 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-06-25 23:23 Eastern Daylight Time
All 501 scanned ports on 192.168.2.200 are open|filtered
MAC Address: 00:0A:C5:22:63:B6 (...)
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.735 seconds

1. I'm using the correct command line options, right (UDP scan, in
order, 6000 to 6500, of 192.168.2.200)?

2. I happen to know that the device only watches for data on port
6300. Why does it say all 501 ports are open/filtered?

3. What does "open/filtered" mean? Actually what does "filtered" mean?
When I think "filtered" I think "blocked" which is sort of the
opposite of open, but I'm pretty sure nmap isn't trying to tell me
that "all 501 ports are either open or they aren't", lol.

Thanks!
Jason