Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: zenmap as root error

From: Aaron Leininger <rilian4 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:25:57 -0700

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you all on this, my day job has been overwhelming lately.

I tried your suggestion with the following result:
nonroot$ sudo su -
myrootprompt# export DISPLAY=:0
myrootprompt# zenmap
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Segmentation fault

I did some digging on this error in google and I found a response suggesting the error stems from trying to run
something in an x-session that is owned by another user.

I opened a root-shell directly and ran zenmap again
myrootprompt# zenmap
With the result that it opened normally.

Can anyone tell me why I am seeing this behavior? Why does zenmap segmentation fault out if I open a normal shell and
run: sudo zenmap but if I open a root shell, it launches fine. This seems odd to me.

Thank you all!
Aaron

Hope this helps you. Perhaps you already think about this, but...
Try to set the DISPLAY variable before.

If I don't set it before, I have the same output:

#zenmap
Segmentation fault

But after I set It, it works like a charm:

export DISPLAY=:0

and in my linux I also do as my non-root user,   xhost +
(checkout your firewall's rules before)

I'm using debian so I don't know if Suse sets the variable by default.

Never the less, zenmap should'n break like this.
I'm attaching the zenmap debug output in case someone needs it. (export
ZENMAP_DEVELOPMENT=1)

Linux Aquaviva 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Mon Feb 11 14:37:45 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Python 2.4.5
libpango1.0-0                         1.20.0-1
libgtk2.0-0                           2.12.9-2
python-gtk2                           2.12.1-1

cheers

sebas