Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ndiff ready to be tested

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:28:16 -0700

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 07:21:55PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 12:48:09AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:44:47PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:

Syntax: ndiff (-[y|Y]|-[x|X]) [out.file] newerscan.xml oldscan.xml [olderscan.xml] [...]

I'm not convinced that basing the behavior on the caplitalization is
the best approach.  How is someone supposed to remember whether -x or
-X is the version which takes a filename?  For example, imagine
someone tries to diff three files (using your current ordering) as so:

ndiff.pl -Y newestscan.xml older.xml oldest.xml

Since the user did 'Y' instead of the proper 'y' for the situation,
does that mean newestscan.xml gets blown away?  Since the script
allows more than two files to be diff'd now, you can just catch the
problem based on too many files being listed.

I noted this potential issue, but didn't suggest any solutions.  One
idea would be to keep -x and -t (or -y) and then have a special -o
option for when you want to specify an output file.  Then you could
make -X and -T aliases for -x and -t so people don't even have to
remember the proper capitalization.

Cheers,
-F