Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Signal to send Nmap to pretend I pressed Enter?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 00:50:58 -0700

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 01:53:10PM -0600, Nathan wrote:
I've got an instance of nmap 4.60 on linux that's been running all
weekend--which is weird, because I didn't expect it to take nearly
that long.  I called it from a script, but the output is being
redirected to a file.  I'd like to get it to print out the ETA as if I
had pressed Enter, but I don't have access to stdin for the nmap
process.  Is there some signal I could send it with kill or something
that would act the same as if I had pressed Enter?

It won't help for this scan, but next time add the -v (verbose)
option.  That should provide an ETA update from time to time even when
you can't interact with the terminal.

Cheers,
-F